Tel: +91-80-2293-2404/2403 (work); +91-80-2351-2749 (Home)
Ph.D. The University of Madras (1972, with S.
Postdoc: Harvard University (with
E.J. Corey) and Syntex,
New Synthetic Methodology
· Chemistry of Titanium (III) Tetrahydroborates and their use in Stereoselective Reduction
· Chemistry of Binary Molybdenum-Sulfur Systems as Efficient Sulfur Transfer Reagents
· Development of New Protective Groups for Peptide Synthesis using Mo-S Systems
· Study of Induced Internal Redox Reactions of Tetrathiomolybdates
· New Ruthenium (II) -Bisoxazoline Catalysts for Highly Chemoselective Aerobic Epoxidation and for Asymmetric Oxygen Transfer Reactions
· Nanostructured Amorphous Metals / Alloys as New Catalysts for Cycloalkane Oxidation
· Hybrid Organic -Inorganic Chiral Catalysts for Asymmetric Synthesis
Total Synthesis of Natural
Application of the reagents and synthetic methodology developed in this laboratory to the synthesis of natural products particularly Cyclic Peptides, Pyrrolo Benzodiazepine class of Anti-Tumor Antibiotics, Carbohydrates etc.
· Design and Synthesis of Metallorganic Chemical Vapor Deposition Precursors for Thin Film Applications
· Design and Synthesis of New Organic Non-Linear Optical Materials
Study of Reaction Mechanisms:
Mechanistic studies of novel molecular reorganizations encountered in the course of total synthesis.
- A. Srikanth, G. Nagendrappa and S. Chandrasekaran, Catalytic Epoxidation of Cyclic Vinyl Silanes by Ruthenium (II) Complexes under Aerobic Conditions, Tetrahedron, 2003, 59, 7761-7765.
- D. Dhar, A. Gedanken and S. Chandrasekaran, Catalytic Aerobic Epoxidation of Olefins by Nanostructured Amorphous CoO-MCM41, Catalysis Lett., 2003, 86, 197-201.
- P. Ramu Sridhar, K. Chinna Ashalu and S.Chandrasekaran,Novel Methodology for the Synthesis of 2-C-Branched Glyco-Amino-Acids by Ring Opening of 1,2-Cyclopraopanecarboxylated Sugars, Organic Lett., 2004 ,6, 1777-1779.
- P. Ramusridhar and S. Chandrasekaran, Synthesis of Thioglycosides by Michael Addition of Masked Thiolates mediated by Tetrathiomolybdate, Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2004, 4809-4815.
- D. Suresh Kumar, S.M. Koutha and S. Chandrasekaran, Chemistry of Tetrathiomolybdate: Aziridine Ring Opening Reactions and Facile Synthesis of Interesting Sulfur Heterocycles, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2005, 127, 12760-12761.
- R. Ramesh and S. Chandrasekaran, But-2-ynylbisoxycarbonyl Chloride: A Novel C2 - Symmetric Reagent for the Protection of Amines and Amino Acids, Organic Lett., 2005, 7, 4947-4950.
For a one page summary in pdf format click here
Back to the Faculty page
Back to the Department of Organic Chemistry Home